Monday, July 11, 2011

Humber Graduate

"Cook Apprenticeship with Honours" says the diploma I received in the mail from the Humber College Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning. There should also be a letter in there that tells me I finished at the top of my class. I chose not to go to graduation and stand there with all the twentysomethings who are so very proud of their achievement. It's not that I am not proud, but it's not my first degree so it's a case of "been there, done that".

For me, graduating from the apprenticeship program means I am eligible to write my Red Seal at the end of the year and become, as they say, a "papered chef". I'm finishing the practical part of my apprenticeship at a private golf course kitchen and after that it's onward and upward. Or so I hope. There is a very exciting prospect of working in Yorkville in one of Toronto's top restaurants with a Chef I admire greatly but that will not be until much later in the year so I'm trying not to get too excited. I'd love nothing more than to find a home there. I've worked in three kitchens already in just over two years and going back down to gardemanger each time (after previously working saute and grill) is a little more humbling than I can handle.

I have a few sections still to be signed in my apprentice book and a few hundred hours of work left till I reach the 6000 hours the Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities requires for Red Seal eligibility. I've given myself a deadline for no later than Dec 31 2011. Wish me luck.

For now, I have three consecutive days off from work during which I plan to enjoy the sunshine and, of course, some food. Tomorrow, Jen and I visit Cafe du Lac for our first Summerlicious experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment