Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Maple, Ginger and Basil Stewed Peaches



It is not often that two days go by without me cooking at home so when three days went by I was starting to feel a little strange, almost like going through a withdrawal of some kind. To get my fix I went to my local grocery store, came home loaded with good eats and cooked several dishes in one morning.

One of them was the Apple Vichyssoise I wrote about yesterday. Another dish was a pan-seared pork chop with whole wheat couscous topped with peaches and ginger.

More often than not I top my pork chop with an apple compote, made with apples, brown sugar and Calvados (or whatever brandy I have on hand). Because Ontario peaches are now in season and I bought a few too many I decided to top my pork with peaches. It was delicious. You'll only need a few things and if you cut your peaches small it's all done in 10 minutes at most.

Your short ingredient list:
4 peaches,
1" knob of ginger, grated
2 Tbsp of Maple Syrup
1 Tbsp butter
4 basil leaves, thinly sliced (chiffonade).

That's it! In fact the plan was to cook the peaches just with ginger and maple syrup but my eyes landed on the bushy basil plant so I decided to throw in some basil. It was a fortunate afterthought.


1. Peel and dice peaches

2. Peel and grate your ginger. (Yes, I'm using a spoon for peeling. It's easier than using a knife in this case and you have less product waste)



3. In a small saucepan over medium heat melt the butter and add the peaches, grated ginger, maple syrup and basil. Cook for approximately 5-10 minutes, depending on the ripeness of your peaches. 



 Serves two as side. Tops three pork chops generously.

No comments:

Post a Comment