Sunday, October 18, 2009

To New Beginnings

Despite my tiredness I managed to buy a supply of groceries for the coming week and even make dinner. The sweet potatoes and pork I brought home along with a can of black beans came together wonderfully in a cuban stir-fry of pork, black beans and sweet potatoes. Sipping a 2004 Chianti I picked up on the way home, "An Affair to Remember" in the background, and keeping an eye on Jen (who was supposed to keep me company but kept typing on her computer when I wasn't looking), I prepared dinner.

Now the kitchen is clean, I can still smell the vanilla in the rice krispies treats I made earlier in the afternoon, and I feel content and relaxed sitting at my kitchen table.

I am excitedly awaiting the closing of our club for the winter and looking forward to the next cooking gig. I will be working at a restaurant conveniently located just up the street from where I live, an opening-soon pub and pizza place. I visited just the other day and it looks wonderful. It has an open kitchen with a large stone pizza oven as its focal point, the bar and furniture in beautiful dark-brown colours and a promising menu. The best part of it is that I will be working for and with friends. Two wonderful women whom I've known for years have bought a former pizza joint and are hoping to turn it into a warm, inviting space serving sandwiches, pastas and pizzas. They have a good business plan, good marketing idea and what appear to be caring staff.

I raise a glass of (Le Gaggiole) 2004 Chianti to their success and mine. I look forward to a place of employment where we all feel as if we are family and hope to be spending many evenings there. May this be the beginning of a beautiful relationship!

No comments:

Post a Comment