Friday, November 20, 2009

More Comfortable

I worked the hot side again yesterday as it is my job to do so when the Sous-Chef is not in. I am getting more comfortable with the pasta dishes as they are the most popular of the entrees, if we don't count pizza. I can now do spaghetti and meatballs without a worry and I can also do the Penne a la Vodka. There are two other pasta dishes on the menu but since I have only made them once, they would take a couple more tries before I find myself in the comfort zone. The salads are also slowly going on auto pilot, especially the Caesar Salad. I need a lot more practice with the entrees that require garnishes and sides having made only the meatloaf so far.

My Chef likes to hog the chits and just tell me what to cook instead of me looking at the damn chit. It prints in two copies and for the life of me I don't understand why he needs both... So yesterday he says to me: I'm going to need a caesar salad, and when you're done with that I need a spaghetti and meatballs. So I do the caesar, put it in the take-out container and then go to do the spaghetti. He sees the finished spaghetti in the takeout container and says: "No meatballs! Didn't you look at the order?" Errr... welll... no, you didn't give it to me, you only said "spaghetti and meatballs" forgetting to tell me about the "no meatballs" part. It drives me completely up the wall when an order gets effed up through no fault of my own. So I told him next time to stop hogging the chits and give me one while he keeps the other. He looked at me but I don't actually think he heard me. He didn't seem interested in what I had to say. Pet peeve #2: being dismissed like that, with just one look that says "oh really, you're going to tell me what to do? what do you know?" Well, Mr. Chef, I'd like to tell you what I know but judging from that look, what's the use?

Sous-Chef is in today so I don't have to worry too much about the hot side. I'll have to do my salads, my apps and paninis and help with plating but I'm slighly concerned about it being busy and someone having a freak-out over not finding the tomato relish or some other silly, small thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment